Monday, March 11, 2013

Money sucks (and how to avoid them!)

So, in accordance with my recent budgeting measures, my husband and I are trying to cut unnecessary bits and pieces out of our day-to-day spending. Some of them are obvious, some less so. Here's a few, as food for thought.

Restaurants- OMG. The mark-up for restaurants, versus making dinner yourself, is insane. I get it... you don't have to do the cooking or the clean up, and you get someone waiting on you, which is nice, but really... is it worth it? Consider the actual level of service you receive at most restaurants. Servers have multiple tables to wait, and it seems like a server is either overworked or undervisible (ie- they disappear for long stretches for no apparent reason.) Rarely is the food perfect, in temperature, preparation, or delivery, and little things, like extra lemons or refills, tend to be overlooked. Drinks run between $2-3. I used to LOVE eating out, maybe because I did it so rarely as a kid, but I think the charm is finally wearing off. It hurts to spend $30-50 for a decent dinner when for about twice that, you could buy groceries for an entire week. Going out once in a while is fun, sure, but it's should really be that... once in a while.

Beauty services- Alright, this is more for the ladies. Girls, think about what you spend to get your hair done every 6-10 weeks. Just for the color, it can run upward of $200. That's insane! Grab a box of dye ($10 max at the store), grab a friend, and have a hair party. Really, the things they do at the salon are not that complicated. The same goes for manicures and pedicures. Give up the 2-week acrylics and enjoy your natural nails! My hands aren't exactly beautiful pianist hands (unlike my husbands), but with practice and care, I do a pretty good job of taking care of them, and my nails look great. Instead of spending $50-100 for 45 minutes of upkeep, do it at home! It takes practice, again, but it's awesome to be able to soak your feet on your couch and watch bad television. And again, grab a friend and make a party of it! It's a great way to have fun, make yourself pretty, and save money.

Coffee and Lunch- How many of us find ourselves crunched for time and grab a latte on the way to work or a burger at lunch? Those coffees and fast food lunches add up fast, and your wallet feels the pinch. For a fraction of the cost, get up 10 minutes earlier, grind up some fresh beans, and make yourself a sandwich. With a little trial and error, you can get the hang of making some pretty awesome coffee, hot or iced, and packing your lunch is also a great way to save on calories. Most restaurants and fast food joints really serve more food and calories than any person needs in a single meal (or even a single day!) If slapping together lunch isn't your thing in the morning, try frozen meals. They're cheap, calorie controlled, and come in an amazing array of possibilities.

Movie Theaters- There's nothing so classic for date night as hitting a movie theater. Considering the standard price of movie tickets, around $10 each, along with popcorn, candy, and a soda, that trip to see a new release can easily run $40-50. That's a little crazy, right? I say skip the popcorn and instead rent a movie or catch something on Netflix or the DVR and order in a pizza. Call it $20 for an evening snuggled up on the couch with your honey (or your favorite pooch!), with no crying children, texting teens, or other obnoxious movie goers.

New vs. Used- This is a big one for me with regards to books and cds. I prefer to go to a used bookstore, like Half Price Books, and spend $3 for an older release, rather than spending $15-25 for a new release at a large chain book store. Libraries are fantastic for this, also. Free bookage = win. When looking at making purchases, I try to first consider if I can find something gently used for cheaper. Goodwill, Ebay, Amazon, and Craigslist are some favorites. I bought an awesome dress for a military ball for $4 at Goodwill last month. On Craigslist, we found my husband's car for less than $2000, and my motorcycle was only $3000, and it barely had 2k miles. Always be smart about what you buy, of course, but it's a good consideration to make. You may decide you don't even need whatever new gadget you were considering, anyway.


As Dave Ramsey says... good finance is 80% behavior and 20% knowledge. Fix the behavior and you're 80% of the way there.


TxT

3 comments:

  1. I agree with so many of these! We rarely go out to dinner. I meal plan and clip coupons, it helps so much to have a plan instead of going to the grocery store blind. I never get my nails done and prefer to dye my own hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get into coupon clipping! This weekend at the store was a major step, as I planned out meals for an entire week and kept it under budget. I've never had my hair dyed by anyone else, because I could never get over the cost. $80 for a single-color dye job? No thanks! I'll spend the $7 and do it myself. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also started doing my grocery shopping at the super target on joe battle, thanks to the target red debit card I save 5% everytime. It's great!

      Delete