Friday, July 19, 2013

Texas Politicians and Their Obsession with Uteruses

Been a while, right? To be fair, it's been a crazy few months. There were lulls here and there, but it is what it is. Things are going pretty great, so it's all good. On to recent news...

From my blogger name, I'm sure you can figure out I'm at least from TX, if not a current resident. Well, I am a current resident, and right now, my uterus is feeling mighty abused. Not from anything from or interesting like a pregnancy or naughty nights, but from the constant legislation being handed down by the assholes on high, aka the Texas legislature.

Fuck those guys. First they pass a bill that will effectively shut down all but ONE clinic in the great state of TX that provides abortions (and for y'all not up on your US geography, TX is freakin' huge. It takes roughly 13 hours to get from one side to the other, driving straight through. Who has the time or money to make that kind of trip??) This is after the Repubs were effectively shut the fuck down by the Democrats, who kicked ass, and the protestors, who also kicked ass. Rick Perry is such a douche.

Now, after that bullshit prank, which requires stand-alone clinics that provide safe and very limited surgical procedures to meet the same standards as full-equipped, hospital-operated surgical suites, they are trying to completely ban abortions altogether. Sure, if you know you're pregnant within 6 weeks, you might have the opportunity to get one, but if you're like the vast majority of women (if you're not a woman, pretend,) then you won't have the option to terminate your pregnancy, and god forbid you have a fetus with a birth defect or a life-threatening condition that could result in your death if you don't terminate the pregnancy, cuz, guess what, it'll be illegal! :D Oh yeah, and it limits the prescription of safe and effective medication that stops a pregnancy from developing. What's next, a policeman posted at every vagina in TX? Funny to imagine, perhaps, but still.

I fear what I see happening. Roe v Wade has been around since before I was born, but I've heard the stories, backalley doctors performing abortions in filthy conditions, women using coat hangers or throwing themselves down stairs to try to get rid of a pregnancy. How is outlawing them helping anyone? It's not... it just makes people feel better in their own self-righteousness. What's next? Outlawing tattoos? How about premarital sex? Jackasses in Virginia are trying to outlaw oral/anal sex between consenting adults. This is what our money is going towards. Awesome.

Fuckin' hell. What is the deal? Abortions are a legally-protected right, whether fundamentalists like ir or not, just like it's legal for black people to vote, whether our racists like it or not. What is with these asshole Repubs trying to garner so much sympathy with the fundamentalists and lifers? And when exactly will they start writing up some legislation to help feed, clothe, medicate, and educate these pregnancies they are so quick to force on women? Ok, before you start bitching, I realize no one is making women get pregnant. But you know what? This is not a Christian-run country. It's my right to spend exactly as much on my back as I wish. And since I'm married, what the hell is your problem with it? I'm on birth control, but nothing is 100%. Having a kid right now would be disasterous for my career aspirations and hopes for my future. Does that mean I just shouldn't have sex? Let me tell you.. that's idiotic, backwards, and frightening in its implications.

Damn it, leave my uterus alone!! Dudes, if you want to start making decisions about whether or not abortions are cool, grow a uterus of your own and get back to me.

TXT

No comments:

Post a Comment