Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The News

I catch up on the news online, because I don't have cable or satellite. It's just another expense I don't feel like dealing with month to month. I usually catch bits and pieces on Facebook and MSN.com and Yahoo.com.

So reading articles today on MSN.com, and I have to say, it's no fucking wonder Americans don't watch the news or keep up to date on current events. The 'events' the media panders to are awful. I'm pretty sure the number of shootings has not actually increased since the Sandy Hook incident, but the reporting of them certainly has. Every day there's a new shooting reported on, usually people getting worked up over something and losing their heads. I'm not talking random attacks. Random attacks are supposedly the problem, right? No. I'm talking individuals killing each other, as humans often do. And this is in a time when crime rates are lower than they have been in years.

Thank you, media. I'm not calling the media biased towards the liberals or the conservatives... They're biased towards themselves. They want ratings, so they do their damnedest to stir the pot as much as possible and stoke the fires of controversy and dischord. People are upset over guns? Post more stories about every day happenings that two years ago wouldn't have made it past the editor's desk. Make it seem like people are shooting each other up more than ever.

I support certain measures on guns. Universal background checks on all sales, private included. Mandatory waiting periods (there isn't one in Texas.) I even support mandatory licensing of individuals and education classes before being allowed to purchase a gun.

What I don't support is the media herding us with their slanted, selective reporting into a goddamn feeding frenzy, just eating up whatever they can find to support our views or condemn our opponents. Forget the liberal media. Forget the conservative media. Can we just get an UNBIASED media?

TxT

No comments:

Post a Comment